Thank You For Your Patience!
I have been REALLY bad about maintaining this blog and website. I mean, REALLY BAD. So, let’s take a few minutes to get caught up.
My math project from the spring where I was going to teach counting with 1:1 correspondence fell apart because my pool of potential subjects already had the skill. Initial testing indicated it was difficult, but as soon as baseline started, all but one learned the skill without teaching. So, we went back to the drawing board.
Over the summer, I used some extra research money to purchase the Test of Early Mathematics Ability, 3rd edition (TEMA-3) and redesigned the study a bit. This fall, we went back to the same school district and got a different pool of participants. We used the TEMA-3 as a pre-/post-test measure which also allowed us to customize the skill we were going to teach. It has been going well. We are almost done with intervention data collection for the semester. We will conduct some maintenance and generalization probes after the new year as well as conducting the post-test on the TEMA-3. I’ll be curious to see the changes in scores.
In July, I accepted the role of director of our Special Education doctoral program here at Ball State. (https://www.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/special-education/academic-programs/doctoral-degree/edd-special-education) It has been a whirlwind of activity and learning. Right now, I’m in the middle of a marketing strategy development blitz with our university teams. There was not real plan in place up to this semester. I’m working with them to develop a social media presence as well as put together a series of video webinars on the program. I have to put together a 3-year plan for the Dean by the end of next month. We’re well on our way. But it keeps me busy because I’m now also the chair of the doctoral committee and default advisor to all doc students without a dissertation advisor. Oh, and the point person for any prospective students. So, it’s been a busy semester. Now, I see why I have had to neglect this blog.
The summer and fall have been good as far as publications go. I had three articles accepted for publication, one of which is first author. I’ve got another two that are currently being written and another two that need revisions before being submitted. So, I think I’m doing well on the way toward tenure in a few years. I also have received a second internal grant for a study on a verbal behavior topic that I will be working on this spring and summer. The ideas are coming faster than I can get through them, but that means I’ll continue to be busy. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.
Hopefully, I can return to more regular updates. My next one will likely be after the semester is over. I’ll do a quick recap of my current study. Thanks for reading (and being patient).